Current:Home > ScamsAT&T 2022 security breach hits nearly all cellular customers and landline accounts with contact -Wealth Evolution Experts
AT&T 2022 security breach hits nearly all cellular customers and landline accounts with contact
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:14:53
The data of nearly all customers of the telecommunications giant AT&T was downloaded to a third-party platform in a 2022 security breach, the company said Friday, in a year already rife with massive cyberattacks.
The breach hit customers of AT&T’s cellular customers, customers of mobile virtual network operators using AT&T’s wireless network, as well as its landline customers interacted with those cellular numbers.
A company investigation determined that compromised data includes files containing AT&T records of calls and texts between May 1, 2022 and Oct. 31, 2022.
AT&T has more than 100 million customers in the U.S. and almost 2.5 million business accounts.
The company said Friday that it has launched an investigation and engaged with cybersecurity experts to understand the nature and scope of the criminal activity.
“The data does not contain the content of calls or texts, personal information such as Social Security numbers, dates of birth, or other personally identifiable information,” AT&T said Friday.
The compromised data also doesn’t include some information typically seen in usage details, such as the time stamp of calls or texts, the company said. The data doesn’t include customer names, but the AT&T said that there are often ways, using publicly available online tools, to find the name associated with a specific telephone number.
AT&T said that it currently doesn’t believe that the data is publicly available.
The compromised data also includes records from Jan. 2, 2023, for a very small number of customers. The records identify the telephone numbers an AT&T or MVNO cellular number interacted with during these periods. For a subset of records, one or more cell site identification number(s) associated with the interactions are also included.
The company continues to cooperate with law enforcement on the incident and that it understands that at least one person has been apprehended so far.
It’s not the first data breach of this year for AT&T. In March the telecommunications giant said that a dataset found on the “dark web” contained information such as Social Security numbers for about 7.6 million current AT&T account holders and 65.4 million former account holders.
AT&T said at the time that it had already reset the passcodes of current users and would be communicating with account holders whose sensitive personal information was compromised.
Shares of AT&T Inc., based in Dallas, fell more than 2% before the markets opened on Friday.
veryGood! (439)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Utah GOP Sen. Mitt Romney, former presidential candidate and governor, won’t seek reelection in 2024
- Botulism outbreak tied to sardines served in Bordeaux leaves 1 person dead and several hospitalized
- Argentina shuts down a publisher that sold books praising the Nazis. One person has been arrested
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Wisconsin Senate to vote on override of Evers’ 400-year veto and his gutting of tax increase
- Spain records its third hottest summer since records began as a drought drags on
- American caver Mark Dickey speaks out about rescue from Turkish cave
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- NASA releases UFO report, says new science techniques needed to better understand them
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- How they got him: Escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante arrested after 2-week pursuit in Pennsylvania
- Inflation rose in August amid higher prices at the pump
- Loudspeaker message outside NYC migrant shelter warns new arrivals they are ‘not safe here’
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Russia expels 2 US diplomats, accusing them of ‘illegal activity’
- Senators clash with US prisons chief over transparency, seek fixes for problem-plagued agency
- Justice Department pushes ahead with antitrust case against Google, questions ex-employee on deals
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
In 'The Enchanters' James Ellroy brings Freddy Otash into 1960s L.A.
UK police pay damages and express regret to protesters arrested at London vigil for murdered woman
Florida Gov. DeSantis recommends against latest COVID booster in ongoing disagreement with FDA, CDC
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Psychopaths are everywhere. Are you dating one? Watch out for these red flags.
Delaware man gets 7 1/2-year federal term in carjacking of congresswoman’s SUV in Philadelphia
Several students at Vermont school sent to hospital for CO exposure, officials say